Note: This recipe is from The Edgy Veg. I am reposting in order to provide a review!
These buffalo “wings” are everything I could have asked for! I have been looking for a solid recipe after struggling with a few of the cauliflower versions, so I’m stoked I found this one. Be sure to try it with some Vegan Ranch.
My rating: 9/10
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 10 mins
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¾ cup vegetable broth, I made mine with bouillon
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2-3 cups of vegetable broth, I made mine with bouillon
- 2 eggs worth of egg replacer
- 1-2 tablespoons Buffalo hot sauce
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour or oat flour
- In a mixing bowl, mix together wheat gluten, salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder and poultry seasoning.
- In a larger bowl, combine broth and tahini and whisk until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and stir until well combined.
- Knead the dough until it is elastic but not dry. Sprinkle some additional gluten flour if you find you have made your dough too sticky.
- Divide the dough into small little disks, it’s fun to try and shape them into wing-like shapes. Keep in mind they will grow to about twice their size, so make then smaller then you would normally. Place in a casserole dish, covering them with vegetable broth.
- Cook wings in broth for 1 hour at 350 degrees, flipping at 45 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled skewer your “wing” with a sugar cane “bone” or popsicle stick.
- Whisk together the egg replacer, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper into a medium size bowl.
- Put the flour and black pepper into a large zip lock bag.
- Dredge chicken wings into the egg mixture then toss into the Ziplock bag of flour.
- Deep fry in a large pot of oil or deep fryer at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until light brown and crispy. Remove wings to a paper towel lined plate or tray.
- Toss the wings in remaining buffalo wing sauce and enjoy. Dip onto vegan ranch sauce and follow with celery and carrot sticks.