Disclaimer: This recipe is modified from thespruce.com for review purposes.
- For Filling:
- 3 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed medium-firm tofu (about 2/3 of a package)
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger, sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves and stems, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. chili sauce (or more if you want them spicy)
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- For Dumplings:
- Cornstarch or flour for dusting plate
- Soy sauce for serving
- Chili sauce for serving
- 1 package frozen round dumpling wrappers or wonton wrappers
- 1 banana leaf for steaming (available frozen at most Asian food stores)
- Thaw dumpling wrappers at least 2 hours. Thaw banana leaf at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare a steamer by lining it with 1 or 2 layers of banana leaf (to keep dumplings from sticking). Use a traditional bamboo steamer set over a pot of boiling water, or a colander with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place all filling ingredients together in a food processor and process until very finely chopped, but not a paste.
- Lay 6 dumpling wrappers out at once over a clean work surface. Also have ready a small bowl of water for sealing the dumplings.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the filling in the middle of each wrapper. Then dip your fingers in the water and moisten all around the outside of the wrapper.
- Bring the sides of the wrapper up over the filling and press together to seal. If it doesn’t seal, moisten the edges with a little more water. Pinch along the seam to create a decorative edge (see picture).
- Set the finished dumplings on a plate dusted with cornstarch or flour. Steam the dumplings right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- To steam, place the dumplings in the banana leaf-lined steamer (they can be touching) and steam over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until mushrooms are well cooked.
- Set a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and briefly fry the steamed dumplings to brown the bottom and sides.
- Serve with soy sauce and chili sauce.
As always, Enjoy!