Recipe altered from gourmandelle.com
- 2 (14 oz) cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 Tbsps chopped fresh basil leaves
- half a lemon’s juice
- 2 Tbsps tahini paste
- 2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2-3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- pink Himalayan salt to taste
Vegan Basil Pesto:
- 1 cup pine nuts (or other nuts, such as almonds, cashews or walnuts)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 5 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to make raw vegan basil pesto:
- You can either use a mortar and pestle or a food processor to make the pesto. For smaller quantities, such as this one, I recommend using a mortar and pestle.
- Toast the nuts for a minute or two.
- Add the nuts in the mortar and mash them. Add the other ingredients, except olive oil, and mash them too until they have a paste-like consistency.
- Add olive oil, until the texture is just right.
Basil Pesto Hummus:
- Put all ingredients in your food processor.
- Process on high speed for 5 minutes until hummus is extra-smooth.
- Add a little bit of ice-cold water in order to make it as smooth as you want.
- Serve and drizzle with olive oil.
Join the community for even more resources, recipes and discussion with other kickass vegans!